Sunday, November 25, 2012

Sarah and I exchange glances

Sarah and I exchange glances. In high school they lived in Birkenstocks and followed the Dead. Now they stand before us, Alexandra at nearly six feet and Langly at barely five, in shearling coats, cashmere turtlenecks, and a shitload of Cartier,shox torch 2.
"TOOTS!" they cry again as Alexandra envelops Sarah in a big hug, nearly clonking her on the head with one of her shopping bags.
"Toots, what's up?" Alexandra asks. "So, do you have a man?"
Sarah's eyelids lift. "No. Well, I mean there was someone, but..." She's starting to sweat, foundation beading on her brow.
"I have a faaabulous man-he's Greek. He's soo gorgeous. We're going to the Riviera next week," Alexandra coos. "So, what are you up to?" she asks me.
"Oh, same old, same old. Still working with kids."
"Huh," Langly says quietly. "What're you gonna do next year?"
"Well, I'm hoping to work with an after-school program." Their eyes narrow, as if I had just switched languages unexpectedly. "Focusing on using creative arts? As a tool for self-expression? And, um, building community?" I am getting completely blank looks. "Kathie Lee's really involved?" I offer as a last-ditch effort to ... what?
"Right. What about you?" Langly almost whispers to Sarah.
"I'm going to work at Allure."
"Oh,Designer Handbags, my God!!" they squeal.
"Well," Sarah continues, "I'm only going to be answering the phones, but-"
"No, that's awesome. I. Love. Allure," Alexandra says.
"What are you guys doing next year?" I ask.
"Following my man," Alexandra says.
"Ganja," Langly says softly.
"Well, we better run-we're meeting my mom at Cote Basque at one. Oh, Toots!" Sarah is once again molested by Alexandra and they head off to poke at their seafood salads.
"You're too funny,homepage," I say to Sarah. "Allure?"
"Fuck 'em. Come on, let's go eat somewhere fabulous."
We decide to treat ourselves to a chic lunch of red wine and robiola cheese pizzas at Fred's.
"I mean, would you actually leave your underwear in someone's house?"
"Nan," Sarah says, shutting me up. "I just don't understand why you care. Mrs. X works you like a mule and gave you dead-animal headgear for a bonus! What is your loyalty?"
"Sarah, regardless of what kind of a whackjob employer she might be, she's still Grayer's mom and this woman is having sex with her husband in her bed. And in Grayer's home. It makes me heartsick. Nobody deserves that. And that freak! She wants to get caught! What's up with that?"
"Well, if my married boyfriend was dawdling about leaving his wife I guess I might want him to get caught, too."
"So, if I tell, Ms. Chicago wins and Mrs. X will be devastated. If I don't tell it's humiliating for Mrs. X-"
"Nan, this is not even within a million miles of your responsibility. You don't have to be the one to tell her. Trust me-it's not in your job description."
"But if I don't and the panties are floating around and she finds out that way ... Ugh! How awful! Oh, my God, what if Grayer finds them? She's so evil I bet she'd put them somewhere he'd find them."
"Nan, get a grip. How would he even know they were hers,fake uggs?"
"Because they're probably black and lacy and thonged and he might not get it now, but one day he'll be in therapy and it'll just kill him. Get your coat."

No comments:

Post a Comment